Friday, September 7, 2007

My Sidearm

No, this isn't my "baby"... My babies are actually one and four years old and I love them to death -- the oldest just started her second year of preschool yesterday... *sniff*

I decided to get the digital camera out and take a few snapshots today while I had a bit of extra time on my hands. This is a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm semi-automatic pistol (SW9VE) -- allied forces model. It's distinctive from the other Sigmas because of the black slide... they normally have stainless steal, but I love the black on black.

It holds 16 in the magazine and one in the chamber -- field strips down into the grip, barrel, slide and recoil spring and it feels very nice in the hands. The only downside being the 12lbs (ish) trigger pull when I first bought it. I've put about 400-500 rounds through it now without a single malfunction and, I'm pleased to report, that the trigger pull has eased up a bit and it's more of a managable 10lbs or so now. I'm sure that'll work down a bit more to something that'll make it a bit easier to handle.

So, as I've mentioned, I've been working towards my CCDW license and I wanted a decent holster to carry -- I figure I'll either be carrying on the hip or on a shoulder rig, so I picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC (Close Quarter Concealment) holster. It offers Level II retention by an interal locking mechanism. If you look closely here, you'll see a release platform on the holster. With your natural draw grip, your indexed index finger will press that release allowing you to draw the weapon. Outside of that, it is locked firmly in the holster -- believe me, I've tugged and wrenched trying to get it out to ease my mind.

Now granted, I'm in pretty decent shape -- that shape being somewhat of an oval so, as you can see, the weapon is pretty tight up against my side, so I've actually ordered spacers from Blackhawk that'll push it out a bit and allow for a more comfortable draw.

I've been wearing it around the house today to get a feel for it, pratice draws and, all in all, break it in and it's a bit comfortable -- more so than I though. I'm glad that I made this purchase as the simple friction-based retention of my Fobus HK-1 was too unsafe for me for carrying.

Speaking of, I technically open carried for the first time today -- I left my house to walk across the cul de sac to pick up my mail and a new neighbor was on her porch which her child. Granted, I was about 50 feet away, but no reaction. As much as I'd love to do this more actively, I'd much rather wait till I get my CCDW as I need to temper my want to be somewhat of an activist about it with the fact that I'm a provider and I have a family to think about supporting.

In any case, I'll leave one more picture here before I get on with some errands I need to run -- I'd love to see any pictures or hear any stories you have about your favorite firearm.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Hi, I have a Sigma also and have been looking at the Blackhawk CQC Holster but have not found one for the Sigma. Did you order one of the Glock models, or which model did you order? Please contact me at mbennett@wmis.net. Thanks!!

Rob said...

Replied to your email -- for public record, the SERPA for the Glock 21/22 will fit the Sigma perfectly!

AMCIT said...

I have the Serpa CQC holster for my Rock Island Armory 1911. Because we women are shaped slightly different (I'm sure you hadn't noticed) and because I'm somewhat large in some of the wrong places, I found it held the butt of the gun in such a position it scratched the heck out of my upper arm.

I'll still carry it when I carry the 1911, but I'll also be buying a leather belt holster to fit the RIA as well.

Rob said...

Tess,

Blackhawk actually sells extenders for $9.99 -- they basically push the weapon out from your hip. I've ordered these as I believe they'll do the job I need. Not sure for your situation.

Someone else had also suggested the SERPA duty holster, I believe they come in Level II and Level III, but they are actually set below the belt line making for a more comfortable draw.

Out of curiosity, are you the same Tess from OCDO that posts on the VA forums?