Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Law Stuff

So, the Supreme Court hasn't given a solid yes or no on whether or not they're going to take on the Heller Gun Case -- this is usually because the justices need more time to decide or someone is writing a dissent on the issue. The next time they'll make an announcement is later this month... Of course, the NRA doesn't want the case taken as a bad ruling from the SCOTUS would have a severe impact on the Second Amendment, but other gun advocate organizations are confident that it'll be read as most of us have come to know it.

In any case, this coming weekend is the last test I have for my Constitutional Law class until my final in December. I've really enjoyed the class and have learn an immeasurable amount about my constitutional rights and case law pertaining to the application of legal action against and for infractions of the law. I think next year I'll wind up taking Criminal Law.

So, working for a college, I get a free class per semester, which is nice because, with my day job and teaching night courses... along with my music and pistol practice and family, my schedule has been insanely full the past several months. I currently hold a degree in Computer Information Systems and have put that to good work with web and database development.

Since I've become interested in both shooting and the Second Amendment and the potential applications my rights and the law have upon me in, say, a situation where I might be open carrying, I'd taken up an interest in law. Happily, we have a great Criminal Justice program, so I would up readmitting myself as a Criminal Justice major for our two-year program and will be taking classes one semester at a time. So, if I persist to the end, I'll wind up with my Associates in CJ in, oh, about 6 years! Hah!

Luckily, all of my general education requirements are already out of the way so all I really have to do is take the fun 'core' classes. Looking at the list of classes I needed to take before fall started, I decided, with no formal training or knowledge in law (Does watching mass amounts of Law & Order count?), I jumped and took that Constitutional Law course (second year, second semester course) as my first class... I can tell why they put it there.

All in all, I've smoked all of my assignments and case briefs and, though my test scores we quite dismal to begin with, each one has been higher than the previous, which is a trend that I like.

I'm only hoping I can pull out an A for the semester.

No comments: