Thursday, October 4, 2007

USPSA Fun

So, I've been a gun owner, what? All of about three months now -- I've tried to make it out to the range as much as possible and I've watched and read as much as I can about everything from technique to Second Amendment law... even to the point where I'm currently taking a Constitutional Law course (in addition to my 9-5 job and teaching two computer science courses myself).

I've started saving my casings, as I'm looking to start reloading my own cartridges at some point soon and I've found that a nearby range is having their last USPSA shoot on October 20th, which I'll most likely be attending... well, competing.


I've recently changed my grip up to a type used by competition shooters -- it allows for better stabilization during recoil by basically having more skin on the weapon.

From Springer Precision, here's the first video on the grip.

Here is the second video.

In addition, I've also found a series of videos from Todd Jarret on competition shooting on the move, magazine changing and other related topics. That series can be found here.

All in all, I'm looking forward to it, I need to get out to the range at some point soon in order to practice the new grip and drawing/reloading. If anyone has shot in competition before and has any suggestions, let me know -- I think I'll be in the Production division.

2 comments:

John R said...

You are going to have a blast.

Get there early and find the Match Director or a Safety Officer. Let them know that you are new to firearms and that this is your very first competition. They will then give you a safety briefing and go over what they expect of you. When you begin a new stage, let the Range Officer know that you are new and he will make sure you understand the stage.

Have fun, you are going to meet some great folks.

Rob said...

Yeah, match starts at 11, newbies are required to show up at 10 for a safety check. I'll be sure to post how I do. :)